This tutorial, with quiz; is ideal for a Board Certified Nuclear Pharmacist wishing to earn 2 CEU credit.
Proceed to the Quiz: Gamma Counter Quiz
Purchase Tutorial: Payment link (Credit Cards/Paypal)
GAMMA COUNTERS: 2 CEU
This tutorial gives an overview on Attenuation of Radiation
- Summary:This tutorial provides an overview of methods employed for counting gamma ray emissions; discusses the sensitivity of each method; describes the components of a gamma counter; explains what a pulse height analyzer is; describes the spectrum produced and how to identify radioisotopes; discusses energy resolution and the Full Width Half Maximum calculation; explains how to set energy windows; defines dead time and its impact on counting of samples; lists different types of counting equipment used for gamma ray detection and quantification; and lists the factors affecting detector efficiency.Objectives:At the conclusion of this tutorial, one should be able to:
- Describe generalized methods of gamma ray detection;
- List the major components of a well-counter and the importance of the NaI(Tl) crystal, the photomultiplier tube, and other components;
- Explain how to identify an unknown radioisotope based on its gamma ray spectrum;
- Identify the X-ray peak, the backscatter peak, the Compton Edge, and the photopeak in a gamma ray spectrum
- Write the formula for calculation of FWHM Energy Resolution of a NaI(Tl) crystal
- Explain how to set a window around the photopeak of an isotope;
- Define dead time and the problems caused if the value is too high;
- Explain the utility and operation of a well counter and a thyroid uptake probe
RECEIVING YOUR CE CREDIT:
If you have taken one of the tutorials, received a score of 80% or above, and wish to receive CE credit: Make sure you submit all of the requested information when taking the test. It’s not necessary to send us the score sheets since we receive them electronically when you submit your answers for scoring.
Within 24 hours of receipt of your submitted score sheets and payment for the tutorial(s), we will do all of the following:
- Send a certificate to you via e-mail
- Send a certificate to you via US Mail
- All members of the SNMMI will have to self-report their CE Credits on the SNMMI Website (www.snmmi.org). We will automatically send detailed self-reporting instructions to you along with your CE Credit Certificate.
If you have any problems with the self-reporting system, please contact the VOICE Coordinator directly at 703 708-9000. ).
If paying by check, please make payable to Consultants in Nuclear Medicine and mail your payment to: Consultants in Nuclear Medicine 2910 W. Estes Avenue Chicago, IL 60645-2394
To make sure your check is in the appropriate amount, please note the following:
If a tutorial awards 1 CEU, the cost is $20.00
If a tutorial awards 2 CEU, the cost is $30.00
If a tutorial awards 3 CEU, the cost is $40.00
If paying by credit card: we offer a secure internet service via PayPal, a well known internet provider (www.paypal.com) for all of our Online Tutorial Courses.
Simply click the appropriate link for the tutorial for which you wish to receive CE credit. Check your “shopping cart” order carefully- adding or deleting items before you proceed to check out. “PayPal” credit card payments are available for anyone although you will need to submit more information if you are a new user without an established “PayPal” account. Please use the PayPal links on the website to submit your payment. If your credit card information does not match your score page information, please include a copy of your PayPal payment statement so we can match transactions correctly.
STUDENTS PREPARING FOR CERTIFICATION EXAMINATIONS:
All of our tutorials are available for your use in reviewing for your Board Certification Examination. There is no charge to use these tutorials unless you wish to obtain CE Credit.
TECHNOLOGISTS WISHING TO RECEIVE CE CREDIT:
Please feel free to review the tutorials as often as you wish; the test may be taken once. If a score <80% is obtained, then the test may be retaken once.
If the score is still <80%, please contact Dr. Karesh, Tutorials Coordinator, by e-mail at email@example.com for further instructions.